It has come to my attention that even though in the past I would complain about such a holiday, stating that we should be grateful every day, I do miss celebrating Thanksgiving. It did began in a tragic way, but so did our country. And it's not about looking into the past, but into the present, and possibilities of the future. It's not a day specifically to give thanks. But a day to celebrate that we are alive and we can be grateful for every day we can be grateful. A day to start the holiday spirit. A day to remind us that we have so much to be grateful for. If you have clean water, a roof over your head, a book to read, and food on your plate; you have so much more to be grateful for than 80% of the population. My father taught me to be grateful every time I open my eyes in the morning, I am lucky to still be alive. My mother taught me to be grateful every night before closing them, I am lucky I lived today, I was fed, washed and had a bed. I guess those are the most important lessons they taught me. The ones I am passing on to my children. Hopefully they to theirs. And even though Thanksgiving is not my "give thanks for" day, I will still share what I am thankful for the most.
- I am thankful that I can wake up beside him every day, reminding me I am not alone.
- I am thankful for the job I have, a chance to make people's days brighter.
- I am thankful for my wonderful colleagues (future friends), I remember it was a wish I made long ago.
- I am thankful because I can sit here, on this computer and write, with a warm sweater and a cup of coffee.
- I am thankful of the small miracles that always happen around me; a rainbow on top of the building on my first day of work; finally asking the name of the fries woman after 3 years; catching a train in time just to help a stranger.
- I am thankful because I don't have to worry about how to get to work anymore, the options are there, and all I have to do is choose how to arrive.
- I am thankful because my family finally found a place which will possibly become their home for years to come and today they inaugurate it with Thanksgiving dinner.
- I am thankful because I have a date and a ticket to see them again, and that I am going with him, my new family.
- I am thankful because I can smile for no apparent reason.
- I am thankful because in my dreams, I can fly effortlessly, which only happens when I am feeling truly blessed and happy.
Thank you. ♥
What are you grateful for the most?